Sunday, August 14, 2011

Couponing Confessions

I do not coupon because I have been inspired by the show "Extreme Couponing". Truth is, I have only ever seen 1/2 of an episode, and anyone who purchases that much cous cous is not my definition of inspiring. Even if it is free.

I do not wake up at midnight to ransack the shelves at the drugstores, or buy multiple issues of the weekly paper, or steal coupon inserts from other people, or raid trash bins or recycling bins. I do not buy coupons on the Internet.

I coupon because I have come to the realization that saving money on the necessities of life is actually quite simple, and enjoyable. I feel great when I walk out of a store and know that I spent a mere fraction of what I used to spend on the same products. I feel a sense of accomplishment and pride when I see the savings of my grocery store trip totaled at the bottom of my receipt.

For example, once upon a time, if I needed paper towels, I would go to Target and pick up a $12-$15 pack of 12 rolls or so of paper towels. I would not have a coupon. If I needed diapers, I would pick up a 100(ish) count box and pay around $19 for them.

Take a look at this photo from my shopping trip today...

The total cost of this trip was $45.54. I got back 2 $10 gas cards, an expense I would incur regardless, so deducting that from my cost, I spent $25.54. This is almost $10 less than what I would have spent on diapers and paper towels alone, once upon a time, and I got way more stuff!
In addition to diapers (126 of them) and paper towels (18 rolls), I have 50 Bandaids, 1 nail polish, 2 candy bars (not pictured - we ate them!), 24 bottles of water (not pictured), 20 pantiliners, and 36 tampons.

So, I guess my truth about couponing is this: It's simple, it's fun, and trust me, there are way better and more fun things you will find to spend your savings on! Happy Shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment