Monday, August 29, 2011

Six Years Later = Six Moments of Thanks

August 29, 2005 will forever be a day embedded in who I am. It is a day that will bring with its anniversary a gamut of emotions, reflections, memories, hope, faith, and love. It is a day that will remind me always that life goes on, time heals all wounds, and things cannot always be predicted, planned, predetermined.



On this day, the sixth anniversary of Hurricane Katrina, I have decided to write about the 6 biggest blessings in my life: the six things I am, today, most grateful for.

1. Family
Making the decision to leave New Orleans after Katrina was not easy. Starting fresh in a brand new place with no immediate support system was extremely difficult. I am thankful that my family supported my decision and continues to offer support and love long distance.

2. Home
While I often dwell on the fact that our 1200 square foot house is entirely too small for our growing family, I am thankful to have a home. I am thankful that we were able to bring our children home to a solid roof over their heads, and that we had a place to land while we healed from our disaster.

3. Job
I was fortunate enough to secure a job in Texas less than a month after moving here. Despite that it was the middle of the school year, and I was from out of state, I found a school that saw potential in me. Last week, I walked through the doors of that same school for my 7th first day on that campus. I absolutely love the people I work with, who also have been a huge support system in my world.

4. Acceptance
Today, I am blessed to know many people here in Texas who I consider some of my best friends. I feel like I have a family here now and know there are people who I can count on for support, encouragement, friendship, and most of all, acceptance. I am thankful to those people who have accepted me for who I am, and offered me the wonderful gift of companionship. I am also forever thankful that I have faithful friends back home who stay in touch and have accepted my choice to live somewhere new.

5. Children
My biggest post-Katrina accomplishment is undoubtedly my two little girls. I am thankful that I get to raise them in a place that has much to offer, but also that I get to share my home with them often. I am thankful to have their innocence surround me every single day, and to be reminded that the world is a beautiful place full of beautiful people through the eyes of a child.

6. Love
I could not have made it through the last six years of my life without my husband. For the unconditional love, the unwavering friendship, and the undying loyalty, I am grateful. I could not imagine anyone else by my side as we picked up the pieces, held on tight, and took a leap of faith in life and in love.


1 comment:

  1. Your ability to look back on your experience in this way is awesome. -Erin

    ReplyDelete