Sunday, August 21, 2011

Goodbye, Summer!

Summer officially ended for us this past week when I went back to work for the new school year. As my students prepare to return to my classroom tomorrow morning, I find myself smiling back at the fun summer I have had with my little loves.

Every year, as an end of class assignment, I have my students write a copycat poem using an excerpt from Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird. Reflecting back on my own summer, I found myself running that excerpt of the novel through my head, and decided to manipulate my own version.


Summer was the season of childhood: it was dancing in the misty waterfall of a backyard sprinkler, or floating in an icy pool;



Summer was growth and change; it was a thousand moments of laughter and giggles; but most of all, summer was time with my two girls.


Goodbye, Summer!




No comments:

Post a Comment